Plastic pallets are an essential part of any supply chain or a warehouse operation. Not only do they help improve inventory control and product protection, but they can also boost efficiency and safety in your facility. If you’re in need of an affordable, sturdy and reliable way to store or transport your goods, plastic pallets are the perfect solution. Not only are they incredibly versatile, but plastic pallets are also very easy to clean and maintain – perfect for businesses that require high standards of hygiene.
When it comes to choosing the right plastic pallet for your needs, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. Here is our ultimate cheat sheet on plastic pallets, including everything you need to know about their benefits, key features, and different types available.
Benefits of Plastic Pallets
There are many reasons why businesses opt for plastic pallets over other storage and transportation options, such as wooden pallets. Some of the key benefits of plastic pallets include:
- They’re incredibly strong and durable. Plastic pallets are designed to withstand heavy loads and tough conditions, making them perfect for both indoor and outdoor use.
- They’re easy to clean and maintain. Unlike wooden pallets, plastic pallets can be easily cleaned with a hose or power washer – perfect for businesses that require high standards of hygiene.
- They’re weather-resistant. Whether you’re using your plastic pallets in hot or cold conditions, they won’t be affected by the weather like wooden pallets can be.
- They don’t harbor pests. Wooden pallets are often home to insects and other pests, but this is not a problem you’ll have with plastic pallets.
- They’re environmentally friendly. Plastic pallets can be recycled at the end of their lifespan, making them a more sustainable option than wooden pallets.
Key Features of Plastic Pallets
When it comes to choosing the right plastic pallet for your needs, there are a few key features you need to look out for:
- Load capacity. The load capacity is the maximum weight that a plastic pallet can safely support. This will vary depending on the size and type of pallet, so make sure to check before making your purchase.
- Static load rating. The static load rating is the maximum weight that a plastic pallet can safely support when it’s not moving. Again, this will vary depending on the size and type of pallet.
- Dynamic load rating. The dynamic load rating is the maximum weight that a plastic pallet can safely support when it’s in motion. This is an important consideration if you’ll be using your pallets for transportation purposes.
- Forklift pockets. Some plastic pallets come with built-in forklift pockets, which makes them much easier to move around. If you’ll be using forklifts to move your pallets, make sure to look out for this feature.
- Weight. The weight of a plastic pallet will also vary depending on the size and type of pallet. If you need to move your pallets around often, you may want to opt for a lighter option.
Types of Plastic Pallets
There are many different types of plastic pallets available on the market, each with its own unique features and benefits. Here is a quick overview of some of the most popular options:
- Molded plastic pallets. Molded plastic pallets are made from a single piece of molded plastic, making them incredibly strong and durable. They’re also easy to clean and maintain, and they don’t harbor pests.
- Fabricated plastic pallets. Fabricated plastic pallets are made from multiple pieces of plastic that are joined together. They’re not as strong as molded plastic pallets, but they’re often lighter and easier to move around.
- Composite plastic pallets. Composite plastic pallets are made from a combination of plastic and wood, making them a more affordable option. They’re not as strong as molded or fabricated plastic pallets, but they’re still a durable choice.